Vote Vote Vote

Friday, May 21, 2010

Touring instead of Tour Guiding

This morning Rae and I took at tour of JWU Charlotte. It was pretty interesting being on the other end of a campus tour for the day. The presentation was a tad long but very informative for someone who is not a current Johnson and Wales student. The Charlotte campus is practically brand new. Its doors opened in 2004. The city of Charlotte actually paid for a significant amount for the school to be built there is a want to make Charlotte a destination for trendy restaurants and hotels. The campus is located just outside of uptown Charlotte right outside of the 2nd largest financial district in the country right after NYC. We stayed at the Double Tree Hotel which is owned by the university and just so happens to be right in between the admissions office and academic building. We took a look at the main residence hall and dining hall then continued into the academic building. They have upperclassmen housing call City View Towers which is similar to The Village and The Cove in Providence as well as nice condos and apartments surrounding the area too. The academic building is gorgeous and filled primarily with natural light unlike our John Hazen White Center and Xavier. Charlotte has a professional dress code and all classes are located in mainly one building. We got to take a look at the culinary and baking and pastry labs which can be seen from outside on the street. I was very impressed with the campus, they also offer a few minors at Charlotte unlike Providence. In order to make this transfer work for the fall of 2011, I am going to have to spend some quality time with academic advisors to fit in all of my advertising class this coming year in order to transfer since they don't have an advertising program there. What would happen is I transfer to Charlotte as a Marketing major and take my remainder general classes and marketing classes there for 2 trimesters leaving my 3rd tri for my internship in which I will transfer back to Providence, do my internship where ever I wish, and graduate in Providence with my advertising degree. Complicated, but worth it. Charlotte is an up and coming place full of job opportunities for recent grads. Next year is my opportunity to take full advantage of student life in Providence before moving into a more young professional setting for my JR/SR year of college.


The remainder of the day was spent driving through the rest of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and ending in Mississippi. Things I have noticed about the deep south: baptist churches every mile, Cracker Barrel at every town exit, and lots of interesting license plates. Tomorrow we are headed to Texas! We are leaving bright and early and hopefully getting to College Station in the afternoon. Goodnight all.

P.S. Check out  Rae's perspective of our road trip @ raerosen.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails